Health Services — School Nurse » Health Services — School Nurse

Health Services — School Nurse


Karen Fyffe


[email protected]



The nurse is available daily during posted times. Students should feel free to consult the nurse concerning any health problem. We will evaluate your child and call you if necessary. The following steps should be followed:

  1. Obtain a pass from the teacher. A pass is not necessary before, after school or during lunch.  You will be sent back to class without a pass.
  2. If the nurse is not available, please see the campus Administrative Assistant.
  3. If you need to leave campus, the Nurse will issue you a permit to leave and you will need to be picked up from the Main Office.

Please make sure to keep your emergency contacts up to date. You may edit your information online in the cloud or by calling our PEIMS office at 512-414-0924.



For the safety of all students, ALL prescription medications must be provided to and administered by a member of the student health service team, or in their absence, the trained designated District administrative staff, with the exception of asthma & diabetic medication, in accordance with legal requirements.


Only those medications that are medically necessary during school hours for a student’s attendance or written in an IEP should be sent to school. Children’s AISD Student Health Services and AISD require the following:

-Parent/Guardian written authorization for medication administration at school.
-Medication in the original, properly labeled container (name of medicine with strength, dosage and directions; name of prescribing physician who is licensed in Texas; current date)
-Medication label contains the student’s first and last name
-Non-prescription/Over-the-counter medications may be available in the health room for two (2) weeks only with parent authorization. After two (2) weeks, a physician’s order will be required.
-Non-prescription medication dosage must agree with manufacturer’s recommendations or a physician’s order will be required.
-The first dose of this medication for the current condition/illness may not be given at school.


Download an "Authorization of Medication at School" form here >



The Texas Department of Health has ruled that students must be current with immunizations in order to attend school.  If the child’s immunizations are not current when school begins, the parents will be asked to pick up their child and obtain the needed immunizations before being allowed to return to school.  A list of required immunizations can be obtained from your pediatrician or the school nurse.


Parents may fax or mail the updated immunization record and delinquency letter to 414-6815 or Children’s/AISD Student Health Services, 1012 Arthur Stiles Rd., Austin, Texas, 78721.





My child has a fever. When can they return to school?


If your child has a fever (100 degrees or higher) or vomiting in the evening or morning before school, he/she should NOT come to school that day. If they develop a fever 100 degrees or higher during the school day, they will be sent home from school. They should not return until they are fever free for 24 hours without the use of a fever reducing medication such as aspirin, Tylenol or Advil. This policy supports the ill child and prevents unnecessary exposure of other students to illnesses. Please report communicable diseases (Example: chicken pox, measles, conjunctivitis, strep throat, Fifth’s Disease, Staph, Pertussis etc.) to the nurses’ office.


What do I do if my child needs to be excused from PE/Athletics?


You should write a note or send in a doctor’s note excusing them. All Physical Education excuses must be referred to the nurses’ office. Students that need to be excused from PE or athletics must bring a written excuse from a parent or physician to the nurses’ office and they will receive a note to give to their teacher. If your student is in athletics, it is a good idea to communicate also with the athletic trainers.


Where do I get an athletic physical form?


You can obtain the form from the athletic training room or on the athletic website,  This physical must be dated after April 15 and will be valid for the 2016-2017 school year. We do not keep a copy of the physical forms in the clinic.


What do I do if my child has a concussion?


If your child has a concussion, please report it to the nurse. If your child is in athletics, please also report it to the athletic trainers.  We will work with them to make sure they are following their physician's recommendations as well as communicating those needs with our school staff.


If you still have questions, feel free to give us a call!