Announcements for Wednesday March 2, 2022
ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR WEDNESDAY, MARCH 2, 2022
(New announcements are in Italics)
Staff & Students:
Thank you for wearing your mask and your attention and compliance to the mask policy in AISD..
- Amplify Austin TODAY 3.2.2022
Austin Ed Fund
Austin Ed Fund is an independent 501(c)(3), non-profit organization, education foundation to develop and steward meaningful public private partnerships that promote innovation and support opportunities that prepare AIDS students for college, career and life. Some of the ways that Austin Ed Fund has impacted Austin ISD students this past year are: nearly 695,000 meals to Austin ISD parents & caregivers, over 15,000 backpacks with school supplies to campuses before the first day of school, sourced 160 canopies to support outdoor learning and dining, just to name a few..
To find out more about Austin Ed Fund check their website: https://austinedfund.org/.
If you are interested in making a donation during Amplify Austin today, check out this link: https://www.amplifyatx.org/organizations/austin-ed-fund (Links to an external site.).
- Anderson Safety Update
Now that we’ve been back at school for over one semester, your students have probably noticed that we’ve been doing more safety drills 1-2 times per month, and we have five types of safety drills that we practice. For the next few weeks, we will be highlighting the different types of safety drills in this Safety Update.
Evacuation Drill: This is the most common drill that we practice. This drill is used to simulate what would happen if we needed to evacuate the building because of a fire or a bomb threat. When we need to evacuate, the teachers escort their students out of the building quickly and orderly. Students leave their belongings, teachers lock the doors, and students follow the teacher’s instructions for evacuation. If students are on the 2nd or 3rd floor, the teacher will tell them which stairwell to use to avoid congestion. The evacuation routes are posted in each classroom for the teacher and students to see. When they have cleared the building, the students stay with their teacher until given the all-clear to return inside.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding campus safety, please email Mr. Shackelford at [email protected]
- Students: Course Selection Individual Counselor Meetings
Thank you for submitting your course selection form for the 2022-23 school year! Counselors are now meeting with students individually through Social Studies classes for course advisement. Counselors will review each student’s selections with them to make sure they are meeting graduation requirements Counselors are meeting with 11th grade students (rising Seniors) first, followed by 10th and 0th grade students. Course advisement will occur over the next 5 weeks. Please remember to submit any course change requests (if needed) by May 27th; https://tinyurl.com/AHScoursechange (Links to an external site.)
- Interested in Lifeguarding this Summer??
The City of Austin Aquatics Division will have a table in the student lot courtyard during lunch on Tuesday & Wednesday to hand out information about summer employment opportunities!
- Project Princess’ Boutique Day, March 6, 2022, RSVP @ UTprojectprincess.com
Are you going to Prom?? Need a dress? Accessories? Shoes?
We are here to help at no cost!! Please RSVP if you would like to participate and more details will be sent via text or email! Includes Hair & Makeup too!
Questions?? Email: [email protected]
- The Environmental Awareness Club in order to offset our paper usage & to bring greater awareness to the importance of our urban forest right here in Austin will be giving away FREE bare-root saplings (Pin Oak, Red Oak or Redbud)
When: Earth Day, April 22, 2022, 5:30-7:30p
Where: Anderson HS Teacher parking lot (Mesa & Cima Serena)
How to order: Order your saplings at tpevents.org/school/1076 and pick it up at our event on 4/22/22 Last day to order 3/22/22.
- HOPE (Helping Out People Everywhere)
HOPE is collecting socks!! Please bring donated socks to the bins in the front office!
- SAFE Austin
Key Club is hosting donation drive in partnership with SAFE Austin though Friday March 11th. KEY club is collecting basic needs such as hand soap, toilet paper, trash bags, tampons & regular absorbency pads and face masks for kids & adults. They are also collecting food items such as cereals, peanut butter & jelly and condiments. Donations bins are in the front office. More information can be found on our website www.keyclubanderson.weebly.com (Links to an external site.) or our Instagram @andersonkeyclub.
PALS asks that if you have any pairs of shoes that are not heavily worn to please donate them, please find a Soles4Souls bin located in the library, front office & athletic hallway. For further details and/or questions, please email Stephen Campos ([email protected]). The deadline is March 4th.Thank you!
- Project Graduation Spirit Days
Save the Date: April 6th @ Fajita Pete’s… stay tuned!
- Superlative Announcements:
Most Likely to Brighten up your day: Keiana Albert & Davis Kauffman
Attached at the HIp: Avery Burkhart & Sally Whitehead
Most Likely to be on the bachelor & bachelorette: Will Fonken & Soraya Hajibashi
Most Likely to survive Hunger Games: Will Haertl & Bridget Buchanan
Class activist: Alex Brown & Jillian Dworin
Most gullible: John Coffman & Kendal Mott
Most likely to cure a disease: Zach Domsch & Aseel Rawashdeh
Most Artistic: Vincent Nguyen and Elyse Reed
Most Likely to be Tik Tok famous: AJ Wyndham and Harper Clarkson
Most Likely to cause an accident in the parking lot Cory Price & Class of 2023
Bleeds Blue & Gold: Austin Nguyen & Reagan Murphy
Most Likely to Succeed Laya Yalamanchili & Danny Johnson
Funniest: Sydney Fulton & Cash Wiley
Most Likely to travel the world: Matthew Scheberle and Mira Ginor
Most Athletic: Colin Page and Ellie Skalaban
Most Involved: Ford McCracken and Hannah Cukierman
Most Likely to be president: Carter Hull & Tabor Clifton
Most likely to be on Broadway: Xander Greenway & Kara Moy
Cutest Couple: Chase Smyth & Tara Cho
Best Smile: Larkin Divine & Skyler Alberts
Best Hair: Piers Powell and Claire Young
Best Dressed: Sivon Pearson and Ariel Doss
Best Bitmoji usage: Ashton Roberts
Fastest email reply: Lisa Lewis-Roy
Most likely to keep you after the bell: Michael Jones
Most energetic at 9am: Adam Rappaport
Most Likely to make assignments due on Sunday: Michael Jennings
Fastest grader: Michael Jones
Best Feedback: Stacy Rodgers
Best Dressed: Dillon Braaten
Most Likely to give you their Instagram after you graduate: Evan Fuge
Most Likely to have a secret Tick Tok account: Michael Jennings
Nicest Classroom; Cora Claudel
Most School Spirit: Gayla Stuart
Most quotable: Michael Jennings
Most Likely to appear on reality TV: Jennifer Dehoyos
Best Hot takes: Cathryne McNamara
Most likely to call on someone without their hand raised: Michael Jones
Most Engaging: Elizabeth Close
Most likely to ask how your weekend was: Tucker Ewer
Best Hair: Dillon Braaten
Most Likely to be mistaken for a student: Katie Raymond
Most likely to go viral: Coach Pittsford
Nicest Blend Page: Ashton Roberts
- Anderson Softball 2022 Fundraiser. Anderson Softball is raising money to go towards equipment, fees and travel costs. Your support will help us create a great environment for our student athletes! Please consider donating:
http://www.snap-raise.com/fundraisers/anderson-trojans-softball-2022?share_type=clipboard_sharewizard_v2 (Links to an external site.)
- PTSA Scholarships
Deadline: Sunday, March 27th @ 10pm
Applications are now available for FIVE total scholarships.
Each year, the PTSA awards three $1,000 scholarships to graduating seniors who plan to be enrolled in higher education in the fall. To be eligible, the senior and at least 1 parent must have joined the PTSA by October 1, 2021. The application is available in the counselor’s office or by contacting the scholarship chair, Kim Scheberle at [email protected]. If you don’t know if you’re eligible, email and we’ll check for you!
- Frazier Family Scholarships
There are also TWO $500 Frazier Family Scholarships. One for a student interested in studying medicine and one for a student interested in music. The Music Scholarship is BRAND NEW this year!
Applicants may apply for the PTSA scholarship, the Frazier scholarships, or both.
The deadline to submit applications is Sunday, March 27th @ 10PM.
- The Suzanne & Vincent Torres Hill Elementary Alumni Scholarship
Deadline: Apr 15, 2022
The Hill Elementary Alumni Scholarship was established in 2011 to honor Hill’s 40th Anniversary. It is now called the Suzanne & Vincent Torres Hill Elementary Alumni Scholarship in honor of Mr. Torres and his wife, and their dedication to our school and district. The goal is to recognize former students who have excelled in their academic endeavors, supported their community through service projects, and proven they possess a drive to further their education. By granting this scholarship, we encourage students to continue their academic endeavors beyond high school and hope to strengthen the relationship between Hill and it’s alumni. This year, one scholarship in the amount of $1000 will be awarded.
- Kent S Butler Groundwater Stewardship Scholarship Essay Contest.
Deadline: April 20, 2022 by 5pm
This annual contest increases the awareness of groundwater issues by rewarding high school students for high quality research and writing. The highest scoring authors are selected to receive a $2,500 scholarship that can be applied toward tuition for any college, community college or training institution. Open to high school juniors, seniors and immediate graduates, students must reside in one of the eight school districts overlapping the District boundary which includes Austin ISD. Students must email their statement of purpose, high school transcript, essay submission and the application to [email protected] with the subject line “Scholarship Contest”. Please visit www.bseacd.org/scholarship (Links to an external site.) for the application packet and more detailed information!
- The Davie Elementary Alumni Scholarship
Deadline: May 6, 2022
Established to recognize former Davis students who have excelled in their academic endeavors, supported their community through various service projects and /or participated in extracurricular activities, and proven they possess the drive to further their education. By granting this Scholarship we encourage students to pursue their academic endeavors and hope to strengthen relationships between Davis * it’s Alumni. Davis Elementary shall offer one (1) $500.00 Scholarship.
Please click HERE (Links to an external site.) to find more information on the Davis Scholarship application.
Today on the Calendar WEDNESDAY 03/02/2022
PEP RALLY in the large gym
Girls Who Code, Room 402
Writer's Club, Room 338
Book Club, Library Learning Lab
Rowing Club, Room 231
Anderson Equity Team, Room 127
YDSA, 4:45-5:45p, Room 247
Model UN, 5-6p, Library Conference Room
FRC Robotics, 5-7:30p, ATC Building
Boy's Soccer v Lockhart, JVA: 4:45p, JVB 6:00p, V 7:45p
- Anderson Boys Lacrosse traveled to Plano last weekend to play in a double header vs Plano & Plano West. The team kept their winning streak going beating Plano West 17 to 4 and Plano 12 0 2. The team is undefeated and improve their record to 8-0.
Their next district match-up is this Saturday against Smithson Valley. The game will be here at Anderson on Calhoon field at 2:30, come out and cheer them on!!
- Congratulations Belles!! Belles competed against some of the best teams in the state of Texas on Saturday 2/19 and won Overall Grand Champion in the officer category and Grand Champion in the team category, including the highest scoring routine of the competition! The hard work these dancers have invested in preparation over the past several months has paid off! We are very proud of them! Go Trojans!
- Congratulations Men’s Trojan Basketball!!
Regional Quarterfinal game v Weiss HS TOINGHT @ 7p @ Rouse HS
Come out and cheer our Trojans on!
If you’re unable to make it live, KBVO will be broadcasting the game!
- UIL Vocal & Piano Solo & Ensemble Competition
- Superior Rating (Division 1) on their Piano Solo & Qualify for State
Chole Meyer, Zoey Meyer & Thomas Nguyen
- Excellent Rating (Division II on their Vocal Solo
Ava Gilliam & Victoria Ebert
- Superior Rating (Division I) on their Vocal Solo:
Stella Christie, Lana Kornblith, Orion Padden & Lily Steinhauser
- Superior Rating (Division I) on their Vocal Solo and Qualify for State:
Jamie Antonacci, Emi Brenner, Cadence Carpenter, Kyra Ely, Meaghan Geld, Sofia Kelly, Kara Moy, Caroline Stephens, Sofia Thaw, Josephine Tomkins, Gracie Torgerson & Sheppard Tyler
- Superior Rating (Division 1) on their Ensemble and qualify for State:
Andrew Faulkner, Sterling Smith & Ryan Tracy
- Congratulations to our Latin Club on their successes at the Area FJCL Latin Convention this weekend!! Overall, the Anderson Latin team earned the 3rd Place Trophy in the High School Sweepstakes. Two students earned the highest overall score in the Area and 10 students earned the highest score in their levels. They are:
Overall High Score in Area Championship Trophy Winner:
Sivon Perarson (Latin Poetry Comprehension)
Judges Choice Award for Best Overall Performance:
Henry Dieringer (Latin Dramatic Interpretation)
First Place in Level Award Winners:
Henry Dieringer (Latin Dramatic Interpretation 1) & (Latin Sight Recitation 1);
Piper Domsch & Shayna Levy (Classical Costume Design); Asher Hoffman (Roman History); Bao Nguyen (Greek Life & Literature 1), Anna Otto (Greek Derivitives 6); Sivon Pearson (Latin Poetry Comprehension 6); Grace Shapiro (Art-Classical Theme); Richard White (Greek Derivatives 3); Anna Wright (Greek Life & Literature 3).
- Congratulations to the Trojan Swimming & Dive Team on finishing up another successful season! Last weekend, the team competed in the 5A State Championship meet and did a fantastic job!! The Girl’s Team placed 16th and the Boy’s 18th out of 51 teams overall. Numerous swimmers achieved personal best times, while one took home “bragging rights”. Freshman, Hadley Dodson, finished her season by setting a new school record in the 100-yard backstroke with a final time of 57.81 seconds, breaking a school record from 2007. Elizabeth Ann Stromberger, Andres Brooks, and Kai Kawakami-Lynd came very close to new school records in their events (less than a second), in the 50-yard Freestyle, 100-yard Butterfly, and the 500-yard Freestyle. Congratulations to ALL the Anderson Swimming & Diving Athletes, we are very proud of all of you!
In women’s individual events Junior Elizabeth Ann Stromberger, placed 9th in both the 50 & 100 Freestyle, and Freshman, Hadley Dodson, placed 11th in the 100 Backstroke. The Women’s 200 Free relay team of Kat Kester, Phoebe Jaggers & Elizabeth Ann Stromberger, placed 8tt, and the same stellar swimmers made up the 400 Free relay team and came in 14th place. In Men’s individual events, sophomores, Andres Brooks, came in 13th place in the 200 IM, and 16th in the 100 Fly, Dylan England 17th in the 50 free, and Matthew Novak 22nd in 100 Breast, and Freshman Kai Kawakami-Lynd came in 9th place in the 500 Free! The 200 Free relay team of junior Chase Hays, and sophomores Matthew Novak, Andres Brooks, and Dylan England came in 9th place and the 400 Free relay team of Chase Hays, Kai Kawakami-Lynd, Andres Brooks and Dylan England came in 10th. Congratulations on a great season!!
Old News Still Pertinent/deadlines approaching:
Anderson Community Please help us be good stewards of our resources:
- Masks… We provide masks to anyone who needs a mask, but please do your part to bring and wear your own mask from home. Our supplies are becoming limited.. The masks that were sent to us most recently are KN95 masks, these are *not single use, throw in the trash “because you want a new one after lunch” type masks… please find and use the masks you like from home as much as possible.
- Water Bottles….
This year, because our water fountains are taped closed for individual drinking, we have been providing water bottles. However, we still have open access to the ELEVEN water bottle refilling stations scattered throughout campus. You may have heard of the “plastic islands” that are scattered throughout our planet’s oceans that are comprised in no small part, of plastic bottles, which is wreaking havoc with our environment. Please help us be good stewards and pack a refillable water bottle in your backpack each day so we can do our part to take care of our planet!
- PARENTS: Save the Date!
What: Parent Party Fundraiser for Project Graduation: Anderson City Limits
When: Saturday March 26th, 7-10p
Where: Holdsworth Center Lake Austin
Go to the link below for more details!
https://www.andersononline.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=236108&type=d&pREC_ID=544347 (Links to an external site.)
- Twilight Credit Recovery Spring Semester (Virtual)
We are offering a Credit Recovery Program for students to recover credit. Classes are online. Twilight will begin Monday January 10 – May 26, Monday – Friday and selected Saturdays (TBD) from 5:30 – 7:00. Please contact your counselor for credit recovery and Mrs. Collins/Mrs. Salas for attendance make-up.
Email Mrs. Collins at [email protected] if you have questions.
- Spring Semester Saturday school details:
Meet by the flagpoles 8a – 12p, Library
January 8, 22, 29,
February 5, 12, 19, 26,
March 5 and 26,
April 2, 9, 23, 30, and
May 7, 14 and 21
- Graduation Items: Caps & Gowns, Announcements, Rings…
Herff-Jones will still accept late orders….
All graduates will need a cap, gown & tassel, to order only those items, go to the link below, scroll to bottom of the page & click on “continue shopping”. Continue to do this until you reach the page that lists those items.
Please use link below for Herff-Jones to place your online order:
https://highschool.herffjones.com/secom/school/TX/ANDERSON%20HIGH%20SCHOOL/42000179000/2620/packages (Links to an external site.)
- Mark your Calendar! Senior Panoramic Photo ….
When: Wednesday, March 23rd, 9:15am
Where: Student Parking Lot
You can order it the very next day during lunch using link below:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZGjYNQLPc0zCx12SPpYFD_Uv2ABo7XZt/viewo (Links to an external site.)
- Yearbook orders: Go to Balfour.com
- Seniors: Save the Date:
What: Baccalaureate Ceremony
When: Saturday, May 21st, 3-5pm
Where: Westover Church, 8332 Mesa Dr, Austin, TX 78759
(across the street from Anderson High School)
- GRADUATION DATE has been finalized… mark your calendar
10 am, FRIDAY, June 3rd
Toney Burger Center, 3200 Jones Rd, Austin, TX 78745.